Lecturer in Geology (Fixed-term contract)
BSc(Hons) and PhD, Canterbury University (NZ)
Phone: (#64-3) 369 4509 ext 94509
Postal Address: Department of Geological Sciences, University of Canterbury, Private Bag 4800, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Geothermal Energy
- Volcanic Geomorphology
- Volcanic Hazards
- Volcanic Sedimentation
- Volcanism and the Landscape of Banks Peninsula
Research follow three main themes
- Volcanism - Volcanic processes, reconstruction of volcanic systems, volcanic stratigraphy, and volcano-tectonic relationships. Focus of doctoral studies and continuuing research on intraplate volcanism of Banks Peninsula.
- Volcanic Hazards - effects and mitigation of volcanic ash on infrastructure, housing, and machinery. Research in close association with Thomas Wilson.
- Geothermal Energy - within the Geothermal Resource Research Group and Source to Surface Research Programme. Investigating the geological and magmatic controls on geothermal systems in the Taupo Volcanic Zone.
- Banks Peninsula - volcanic stratigraphy, geochemical variation and upper level volcanic processes.
- Volcanic Hazards - mitigation for volcanic ash. Use of Ground Penetrating Radar in volcanic environments as a tool gaining insights into volcanic processes (i.e. runout distances, forces).
- Geothermal Energy - geological and magmatic controls on geothermal systems in the Taupo Volcanic Zone.